Mold Can Hurt You

Because molds produce allergens and irritants, it is common for exposed individuals to experience:

  • hay fever-type symptoms, such as sneezing, runny nose and red eyes
  • skin rash
  • irritated eyes, nose, throat and lungs

However, numerous molds –commonly called “toxic mold”– also produce poisonous substances, primarily associated with their spores, called mycotoxins (mycology is the branch of botany dealing with fungi). Disruptive to our cell structures and cell processes, these toxins have the potential to cause serious harm. Their effects to the human body have been documented using controlled, laboratory conditions. In our everyday indoor environment there is less certainty of symptoms causality, but it is important to note that mycotoxins were proven to be present indoors with victims suffering from: 

  • pulmonary hemorrhage or pulmonary hemosiderosis (primarily in infants, though it can occur in adults)
  • nose bleeds
  • immune system suppression (resulting in increasing numbers of infections)
  • hair loss
  • dermatitis
  • chronic fatigue
  • psychological depression
  • diarrhea
  • sore throats
  • headaches and other flu-like symptoms

Other symptoms associated with mold include:

  • cognitive disorder
  • “burning” eyes
  • blurred vision
  • respiratory illness
  • chest pains
  • chest tightness
  • breathing problems
  • shortness of breath
  • wheezing
  • dry cough
  • nasal congestion
  • aggravated asthma

For further information, please see our sections, ” The Doctor Says.. ” , and ” Mold Glossary ” ; comments from Certified Property Mold Specialist, George Hatcher, on Stachybotrys sp.; ” Is Indoor Mold Contamination a Threat to Health? ” (by Harriet M. Ammann, Ph.D., D.A.B.T.). 

To include the featured image in your Twitter Card, please tap or click their icon a second time.
This entry was posted in ByeBye, George Hatcher, health, Mold, resources and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.